Operating results of the year
|Freight transport||Passenger transportation||Infrastructure services||Other activities||Locomotive traction services|
The Group carries out transportation of freight, luggage and cargo-luggage by public rail transport including that for state needs, loading and unloading, forwarding, protection and storage of cargo.
- Handling of freight decreased by 2.8% compared with 2012 and amounted to 1,236.8 million tonnes.
- Freight turnover (excluding the mileage of empty cars belonging to other owners) decreased by 1.2% compared with 2012 and amounted to 2,196.2 billion tonne-kilometres.
- The volume of handled export freight decreased by 1.7% to 402.4 million tonnes in 2013, representing 32.5% of total freight volume.
Russian Railways independently and through its subsidiaries provides passenger railway transportation services on both long-haul (over 200 km) and suburban routes.
- Passenger traffic decreased by 4.2% and amounted to 138.5 billion passenger-kilometres, including:
- 105.8 billion passenger-kilometres on long distance routes (-6.4%);
- 32.7 billion passenger-kilometres on suburban routes (+3.5%).
- 1,079.6 million passengers (+2.0%) were transported using railway infrastructure belonging to Russian Railways, including:
- 110.7 million passengers on long-distance routes (-5.1%);
- 968.8 million passengers on suburban routes (+2.8%).
Russian Railways provides services involving the use of public transport railway infrastructure and non-public railway tracks owned by society, infrastructure operations, and maintenance and repair services.
- The volume of infrastructure services rendered in 2013 amounted to 5,365.3 million car-kilometres, including:
- long-distance transport – 4,102.5 million car-kilometres;
- suburban transport – 1,262.8 million car-kilometres.
The Group also provides rolling stock repair services, infrastructure facilities construction services, forwarding
and social services as well as electricity transmission
and the rental of movable and fixed property assets.
- The Company’s revenue from other activities increased by RUB 7.5 billion (+4.7%).
Russian Railways provides locomotive traction services to private transport companies owning or renting cars.
- In 2013, the average mileage of a locomotive was 591.3 km/day (+1.0%).
- Average daily production increase for a locomotive within the operating fleet was 1.6% over the network.
- Russian Railways acquired 2,537 new locomotives over the period of 2009-2013.