Corporate profile about Joint-Stock Company “Russian Railways”
n Railways is Russia’s leading railway company and one of the largest companies in the global transport sector. The Company is a natural monopoly and fully owned by the Russian Federation.
Our primary goal is to meet the state’s rail transport and employment needs, and to provide services to passengers.
|Our mission||Russian Railways is:||The Company’s main business activities are:|
We seek to effectively develop a transportation business that is able to compete on the Russian and international markets, whilst respecting our responsability as anational carrier and rail insfrastructure owner.
- one of the largest freight carriers in the world (third in the world by freight turnover);
- ranked fourth in the world for passenger rail transportation;
- a leading contributor by size to the Russian economy (about 1.6% of GDP in 2013);
- supported by the Russian Federation.
Russian Railways was established by Decree No. 585 of the Russian Government on 18 September 2003, “On establishment of the Joint-Stock Company ‘Russian Railways’”.
Russian Railways began operations on 1 October 2003.
In accordance with Decree No. 1009 of the President of the Russian Federation on 4 August 2004, “On defining the list of strategic enterprises and joint-stock companies”, Russian Railways
is a strategic joint-stock company.
- freight transport;
- long-distance passenger transportation;
- suburban passenger transportation;
- provision of infrastructure services;
- provision of locomotive traction;
- rolling stock repair;
- infrastructure facilities construction;
- social responsibility.
Russian Railways has a stake in 123 subsidiaries and affiliates.